Man! I forgot how much I love opening weekend of college football. It really doesn't get any better than five straight days of pretty good football. Here are a few of thoughts I left the opening weekend with:
- It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings (Texas A&M & Georgia Tech).
- The triple-option is really hard to defend when it's run extremely well (Navy & Georgia Tech).
- I LOVE Iowa's new tradition!!!! (Check out the video here).
This week's SEC matchups are "cupcakes" for the most part. However, there are a handful good matchups. Obviously, the most important one to me is Auburn at Clemson. Here are a couple of thoughts I have heading into that game:
- While it's hard to quantify in a tangible way, Auburn teams under Coach Gus Malzahn seem to play to the level of their opponents (not a good thing in my opinion as an Auburn fan.) While Auburn's margin of victory was pretty big against Georgia Southern, their play was quiet sloppy at times. However, that hopefully means that they will more than likely play "up" to the level of Clemson this coming weekend.
- Clemson's new quarterback, Kelly Bryant, looked good on Saturday. Many times there was a Deshaun Watson-esque look to him. However, I think he looked that way because he was basically playing a practice team in Kent State. It's easy to look good when everything goes the way it's drawn. The handful of times Bryant was pressured he didn't look quiet as poised. Hopefully Auburn can keep that kind of consistent pressure on him throughout the night on Saturday.
As for last week's picks, I went 16-2. Now let's pick Week 2!!!
- Alabama vs Fresno State - Alabama
- Arkansas vs TCU - TCU
- Auburn at Clemson - Auburn
- Florida vs Northern Colorado - Florida
- Georgia at Notre Dame - Georgia
- Kentucky vs Eastern Kentucky - Kentucky
- Louisville at North Carolina - Louisville
- LSU vs Chattanooga - LSU
- Mississippi State at Louisiana Tech - Mississippi State
- Nebraska at Oregon - Oregon
- Oklahoma vs Ohio State - Ohio State
- Ole Miss vs UT Martin - Ole Miss
- South Carolina at Missouri - South Carolina
- Stanford at USC - Stanford
- Tennessee vs Indiana State - Tennessee
- Texas A&M vs Nicholls State - Texas A&M
- Vanderbilt vs Alabama A&M - Vanderbilt