Well, well, well...here we are in the fun part of the College Football season. This week the College Football Playoff Committee released its first rankings of the season. In a bit of a shocker to some, they placed Georgia ahead of Alabama. At first I was a little bit shocked as well. But after further review, it makes sense when you think about it. While Alabama has dominated most of their opponents, Georgia has been dominating their opponents as well. In my opinion, Georgia's road win against Notre Dame is probably the single factor that gives them the slight rankings edge. Alabama's domination has happened with teams that are slightly less impressive. Tennessee is in turmoil. Florida State has fumbled their season. Texas A&M is up and down. Ole Miss is, well, back to being Ole Miss. So, it really shouldn't be such a big shock that Georgia is at the top spot. At this point, everyone seems to agree that the SEC Championship between Georgia and Alabama will ultimately decide who takes home this year's national championship trophy. But as Lee Corso would say, "Not so fast, my friend!" Both of these teams have to make a stop through "The Loveliest Little Village on the Plains" of Alabama - AUBURN! War Eagle!
As for Auburn, I was pleasantly surprised to see them ranked as high as they are (#14). And as far as other rankings talk goes, the argument continues (and can be argued well both ways) as to why a one-loss Clemson makes it in the Top-4 over an undefeated Wisconsin or Miami team? But don't fear. There's still a lot of football to be played. Plenty of top teams will win. Plenty of top teams will lose. The 2017 College Football season will come into a much clearer view week by week.
As for picks last week, I went 8-3 (now 92-26 for the season).
As for picks the rest of the season, here's a quick reminder: I will be picking the Top-15 teams as ranked by the College Football Playoff Committee PLUS any SEC teams not included in those rankings. With all that said, let's pick some games!
- Georgia (1) vs South Carolina - Georgia
- Alabama (2) vs LSU (19) - Alabama
- Notre Dame (3) vs Wake Forest - Notre Dame
- Clemson (4) at NC State (20) - Clemson
- Oklahoma (5) at Oklahoma State (11) - Oklahoma State
- Ohio State (6) at Iowa - Ohio State
- Penn State (7) at Michigan State - Penn State
- TCU (8) vs Texas - TCU
- Wisconsin (9) at Indiana - Wisconsin
- Miami (10) vs Virginia Tech (13) - Miami
- Washington (12) vs Oregon - Washington
- Auburn (14) at Texas A&M - Auburn
- Iowa State (15) at West Virginia - Iowa State
- Arkansas vs Coastal Carolina - Arkansas
- Kentucky vs Ole Miss - Ole Miss
- Mississippi State (16) vs UMass - Mississippi State
- Missouri vs Florida - Florida
- Tennessee vs Southern Miss - Tennessee
- Vanderbilt vs Western Kentucky - Vanderbilt